|The beginnings of the Środa Śląska Regional Museum may be traced back to 1920, when Franz Zmarzly, the teacher at the local gymnasium with a Ph. D, (Upper-Secondary School Complex at present) started to accumulate different sorts of relics of the past. Bruno Klebs, a rector of the Lutheran grammar school, also contributed to the rise and development of the museum. In 1927 the collection was moved to the Catholic primary school (the building where School of Agriculture is housed at present), into three rooms. In 1935 the museum was moved next time; this time to the Lutheran Holy Trinity Church which had been closed for some years. The institution enriched its collection with a desk by which Napoleon Bonaparte used to work during his stay in Środa Śląska between 31st May to 5th June 1813 being its spotlight. In the course of the II World War many relics were dispersed. In 1945 Stefan Styczyński, delegate of the Minister of Culture and Art to secure removable relics in Wrocław Voivodship, took most of the exhibits to the State Museum in Wrocław (currently The National Museum in Wrocław).
After the War, in 1964, the museum was reborn as Wood Craft Museum but later the name was changed to Środa Śląska Regional Museum. It was moved again to the Gothic part of Town Hall situated in the centre of the town. The former Councillors’ Hall gives place to a permanent exhibition “Środa Śląska guild insignia” devoted to the rich history of Środa Śląska guilds. From the Councillors’ Hall one can go to the tower adjacent to the West, wherein two original Gothic cells are left. Whereas the other door in the Councillor’s Hall is into the exhibition on the most valuable art works and artefacts comprising the treasure of Środa Śląska. The jewellery is from the period between the end of 12th century to the first half of 14th century. It is connected with the reign of the Emperor Charles IV(a crown, golden and silver coins are among the art works). The treasure was accidentally discovered in the 1980s on the territory of medieval centre of the town. The event raised the profile of the museum. On the second floor, in two small showrooms the most precious Willkomm cups are displayed. In the third room some archeological finds.